The Graduate Student Career Mixer is an exclusive recruitment event for UCSB's Master's and PhD students to connect with employers who want to network and fill job and internship opportunities with graduate students. This event is open to all graduate students and post-docs from all disciplines. Bring your résumés and dress is business-casual. Light refreshments will be provided. Pre-Registration is not required to attend.
What should I bring to the Graduate Student Career Mixer?
Be sure to bring copies of your resume and a few business cards to hand out. You do not need to bring your cover letter. Review the list of employers attending to as prepared as possible.
How should I dress for the Graduate Student Career Mixer?
The dress code for this event is the same as that for a typical Career Fair. This means business attire (i.e. slacks, dress shirts, blouse, pant suit, formal skirt, etc). Remember that although this is a casual setting, you are still trying to put your best foot forward. Always dress to impress.
How formal is this event?
This event is a more casual than a typical Career Fair. The room will be set with cocktail tables to encourage networking between employers and students. The setting will be relaxed yet professional so come prepared to answer in 30 seconds who you are and what opportunities you are seeking. If you need help getting this elevator pitch ready, check out the following tips:
- Create a concise, carefully planned, and well-practiced statement about your professional self
- Include a “hook” or “theme” to make yourself memorable
- Keep your answer to about 30-60 seconds
- Should resonate with your unique personality and interests
- Talk only (or mostly) about your professional self and utilize a mix of strong skills (e.g., PhD in physics) and soft skills (strong writer who works well under pressure)
- Identify profession, expertise, types of business you’d like to work for and special strengths
- Avoid showing a lack of confidence, lack of focus, and lack of skills
Can I get my resume reviewed before the event?
If you would like your resume reviewed, you can stop by SRB 1215 for drop in hours with Erik Martinez, Graduate Career Peer, or make an appointment with Lana Smith-Hale, Graduate Career Counselor. Call 805-893-4412 to schedule an appointment or email email@example.com with questions.