Handshake is UCSB’s NEW and powerful recruiting platform! Handshake replaces GauchoLink which many campus departments have used in recruiting for student positions. Handshake is managed by the team at Career Services.
What Can You Do With Handshake?
- Post a part-time or full time job
- Post an internship
- Learn about what is going on at Career Services
- Register for career fairs
STEPS to Using Handshake
- Create your user/employer account
- Create or join a department account
- Select the campus you wish to post jobs at ("University of California, Santa Barbara") if you created your department account
- Learn how to use Handshake (call Career Services at x4415) or view the Handshake Support Pages for employers and students
- Post your job or internship
- Request a "student account" to get the student experience and to help your students find jobs and internships
1. User/employer Account Setup
2. UCSB Department Account Setup
After you create your user account, Handshake will ask you to connect to your employer (department). Type your department's name OR at least "UCSB" + one word in your department's name, and review the generated search list of existing UCSB departments associated with Handshake. You will be selecting YOUR department's name, not "UCSB" or "UCSB Career Services".
If you see your department, select it and continue. Once you select your department your user account must be approved by an existing department staff member on Handshake.
If you do not see your department in the extended list, select "Create New Company" and enter your department name using one of the following formats:
- UCSB Department of ______
- UCSB Office of _____
- UCSB _____
Note that you will be asked to enter information to create your department's profile page. This can be updated at a later time, but should eventually be filled out.
3. Select Campus to Post Jobs At
Your last step should be to connect your department account to UCSB, if you created your department account. If you are joining an existing employer/department account, it should already be connected to UCSB. Use the search bar to find "University of California, Santa Barbara" and click the “+” to connect with us! Once reviewed by Career Services, you will receive a confirmation email notifying you that your account is active.
4. Learn how to use Handshake
Should you have questions throughout this transition, training documents and videos can be found on Handshake's Support Page. Before school starts in the fall, we host weekly trainings on how to use Handshake for UCSB faculty and staff. If you have any questions about setting up an account or posting your job, contact the Career Services Employer Services team at x4412 for assistance.
5. Posting a Job or Internship
Go to Career's employer webpage and review/follow these steps:
- LOGIN: You can now log into Handshake using your UCSB office email and the password you set. The Handshake logo on the top of the right column will take you to Handshake's employer login page.
- POST A JOB: Click on JOBS in the left column under POSTINGS. On the Handshake JOBS page, click on the “Create Job” button. Once you have filled in the required fields in each of the tabbed sections (Basics, Details, Preferences, Schools - at minimum pick UCSB), click “Create". Learn more about jobs, student applications and closing your job posting.
- REVIEW: Your job posting will then be reviewed and approved/declined by Career Services.
- APPLICATIONS: Review the student applications as they come in and close the posting when you are satisfied with the applicant pool. Contact Career Services at x4415 if you need assistance.
SHARE your posting with others! Every posting in Handshake has a unique URL that takes viewers who are logged into Handshake directly to your job description. If you would like to make the URL publicly viewable to share via email and social media, you can add the text "/share_preview" to the end of your job posting URL.