Career Services recognizes that while internship experience supports career exploration and improves job prospects after graduation, unpaid internships may also lead to financial barriers for students. The Internship Scholarship Program offers awards in recognition of students who have excelled in landing internships, research, and related pre-professional experience that demonstrates career motivation and professional ambition. Eligible students are pursuing unpaid career-related experiences during the summer term within non-profits, government, education, arts, public service, and other industries that traditionally do not pay interns (unpaid internships with for-profit companies will not be considered).
The purpose of the Internship Scholarship Program is to make it easier for students to participate in experiential learning and career exploration, supporting preparation for the job market and helping offset potential financial hardships associated with unpaid internships. As such, award selections are not made solely based on applicants’ previous experience but rather on the following criteria addressed in student application:
- Potential substantive learning experience and benefits offered through internship
- How the internship experience supports career interests and future professional growth
- Financial need and impact of scholarship award
- Professional quality of resume and clear demonstration of General Eligibility and specific award criteria
Career Catalyst Internship Scholarship Application
Dream Internship Scholarship Application
Key 2017 Dates: Decisions will be announced in May.
- Have secured an unpaid internship for Summer 2017 within non-profits, government, education, arts, public service, or other organization that does not traditionally pay its interns (note: if applying for the Dream Award, please see more information below)
- Be currently enrolled undergraduate students. Seniors graduating Spring 2017 are not eligible to apply
- Demonstrate impact of scholarship award, including financial need
Students who identify as belonging to any population that may experience limited access to internship opportunities are highly encouraged to apply.
Award Distribution & Recognition
If you have any questions regarding the Internship Scholarship Program, please email CareerInternships@sa.ucsb.edu
Summer 2017 Scholarship Awards
- This is the core award category for students taking advantage of internship experiences that support career interests and future professional growth. Applicants must meet all General Eligibility criteria and preference will be given to those demonstrate financial need and impact of scholarship award.
- Available: Two $1500 scholarship awards
- This award category, funded by Undocumented Student Services, is for those who are taking advantage of internship experiences that support career interests and future professional growth. Applicants must meet all General Eligibility requirements with the exception that they do not need to have obtained an internship experience by the time of application. If chosen as a scholarship recipient, students must demonstrate proof of an internship opportunity before scholarship funds are disbursed.
- Available: Four $1500 scholarship awards
- Scholarship award recipients will be expected to complete a short post-internship reflection of their experience that may be used in related publications.
- Scholarship award recipients may be invited to participate in one to two Career Services events or programs during the academic year in order to share about their summer experiences.