The Graduate Division is now accepting applications for consideration to UC LEADS for 2016-2018!
UC LEADS is an undergraduate research program aimed at students who are majoring in STEM fields, have a strong commitment to pursuing graduate studies and seeking research experience with esteemed UCSB faulty. Please consider applying to the program and becoming a UC LEADS scholar!
UC LEADS Program
The University of California Leadership Excellence through Advanced Degrees (UC LEADS) program is designed to engage and educate California's future leaders by preparing promising students for advanced education in science, technology, mathematics and engineering (STEM). UC LEADS is designed to identify upper-division UCSB undergraduate students with the potential to succeed in these disciplines, but who have experienced situations or conditions that have adversely impacted their advancement in their field of study.
Once chosen as UC LEADS Scholars, the students embark upon a two-year program of scientific research and graduate school preparation guided by individual Faculty Mentors. Each Scholar is mentored by a member of the UC faculty, who assists the student in designing a plan of research and enrichment activities fitted to the individual interests and academic goals of the Scholar which includes:
- Academic year research expenses and travel up to $1000
- Summer research experience at UCSB ($3000 stipend, plus $900 housing stipend)
- Summer research experience at a UC campus of students choice ($3000 stipend)
- Professional development workshops and research seminars during the summer
- Oral and written science communication skills development
- Academic and scholarly activities throughout the year
- Participation in University-wide UC LEADS Symposium
- Attendance at professional or scientific society meetings
- Preparation for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
The UC LEADS program is open to any students who meets ALL of the following requirements:
- Participants should apply prior to their junior year and/or should be on track to receive the baccalaureate degree at the conclusion of the second year of the UC LEADS program
- Student must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must be in a Mathematics, Science, or Engineering major
- Minimum 3.0 GPA for consideration
- Successful applicants must also demonstrate experiences, situations or conditions that have impacted their advancement in a STEM field of study, such as the absence of a role model in STEM; absence of a family member who received a four-year college degree; or graduation from a high school with poor financial or curricular support.
- Applications from individuals who are underrepresented in the graduate student and faculty populations in STEM fields of study are strongly encourage. These groups include women, African Americans, American Indians, Filipino Americans, and Chicano/Latinos. However, in accordance with state law, preference in selection may not be given to applicants on the basis of race, color, gender, or national origin.
Additional Information & Application
February 26, 2016