When strategically planned, an information session can be an important part of your overall campus recruiting approach. Hosting a session allows you to promote your company’s job and internship opportunities as well as meet potential candidates prior to campus interviews or other recruiting-related events. We recommend late afternoon or early evening, and the promise of pizza or other food/drink items will usually boost attendance. Here are some tips for your session:
- To schedule an information session, login into your Handshake account and, on the homepage, select Create an Event.
- Fill out University of California, Santa Barbara as your host school and Information Session as the type. Please include information regarding what the information session will cover, the types of students who should attend (major, grade level, etc.), and positions recruiting for in the description.
- After requesting the event, add any attachments such as promotional material to the event overview page.
- Once we receive your request, Career Services staff will review it and assign your information session at the University Center (UCen).
- Once your event is approved, you will receive an email confirmation describing the details of your event.
A UCen staff member will be contacting you to finalize your visit. They will be sending you an invoice requesting payment. Only checks are accepted. For more information contact the University Center (UCen) at (805) 893-3961. The UCen rents rooms of various sizes, but tends to book quickly, so schedule early if possible.
- Some student organizations will also host employer information sessions. If you are interested in obtaining a copy of the Campus Organization Directory, call (805) 893-4550 or you can review these organizations on the Web at http://osl.sa.ucsb.edu/OrgList.
- Reach out to our student partner program. Career Services partners with nearly 40 orgs a year who are interested in conntecting with the employment community. For contact information of these organizations, please contact the employer services team.
- If you are interested in setting up a meeting in a particular academic department, please contact them directly. You can call the Campus Directory Assistant at (805) 893-8000.
If you need Audio/Visual equipment for your information session, some equipment may be available to rent. Please indicate the type of equipment you will need in your Event Request. To view a detailed list and prices of available equipment take a look at the UCen's Conference Services webpage (all A/V equipment subject to availability; prices vary). Types of equipment available may include:
- Data Projector
- Laser Pointers
- Internet Access
- Easel/Dry Erase Board
Refreshments & Appetizers
To boost attendance, serve food at your information session. The UCen provides a nice catering service, which delivers refreshments and appetizers to all campus buildings. For catering, call (805) 893-2465.
At Career Services, we will promote Information Sessions via social media (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, and the Career Services Website). Additionally, we will post flyers and posters that you prepare announcing your event on a bulletin board we have for just this purpose. At your request, we can forward flyers to academic departments you wish to target. Please send your marketing material to us at least two weeks in advance of your information session.
If you are attending a career fair and holding an information session shortly thereafter, we suggest that you hand out a flier promoting your information session at the career fair and personally invite any student you meet at the fair to your information session by email.
You can also personally invite UCSB student organizations to your information session to increase attendance. Names and contact information for all student orgs can be found on the Office of Student Life website.
The UCSB student newspaper is published daily and is well read by students. You can place an ad in the Daily Nexus by calling (805) 893-3828.