Job Search Overview
Looking for a full-time position, part-time job or internship? Career Services is here to help!
Determining your career objectives involves researching the occupations and industries that match your interests and abilities. The most successful career consumers diversify their approach by having multiple search strategies operating simultaneously. Some job search methods are more effective than others, but regardless of the strategies used, the best results are achieved by job seekers who actively work their plan!
- Creat or update your Handshake profile
- Learn how to job search safely and learn about the most common fraudulent job post, the check scam
- Define your preferences and explore your options. Check out our Researching Careers page for ideas on entry level job requirements
- Attend Career Fairs, Workshops & Employer Information Sessions (Log into Handshake and click on Info Sessions/Events)
- Prepare a résumé/cover letter using our online tips for résumés and cover letters
- Get your résumé/cover letter critiqued during drop-in hours in the Career Resource Room from 11:00am to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday
- Sign up for On-Campus Interviews. While many positions are aimed at accounting, computer science, engineering majors, there are also jobs for all majors in retail and financial services as a management trainee or entry level sales professional. Go to Handshake to see who’s coming to campus in your area of interest
- Increase your interviewing skills and utilize Big Interview
- Create a professional LinkedIn profile and start networking
- Research typical salaries for your job
- Review UCSB's Guidlines for Successfully Handling Job Offers so that you are successful in your job search!