Interested in an International Career or Internship?
Below are websites and resources that provide information on a variety of abroad experiences, travel information, and programs. Career Services also hosts workshops and employer information sessions that can assist with your exploration. Check our calendar for details.
Consider the following questions to help focus your international search:
- Decide: Answer the question, “What is the focus of my search?”
- Region of World: Where do you want to go?
- Language: Do you want to go where they speak a language you already know, or do you want to learn a new language?
- Professional Focus: What type of work experience do you seek? Do you want the opportunity to work in a specific industry, population, or practice a particular skill?
- Academic Major: Where can you go to gain relevant experience for your studies? If you’re interested art, perhaps you could consider Madrid. If you are interested in automotive engineering, perhaps Germany would be a viable destination. Use GoinGlobal to research industry trends in a specific country.
- Desired Objective: Do you want to immerse yourself in a completely foreign culture? Are you looking for an alternative “gap year” option after graduation? Is your goal to gain particular experience in an industry? Would you like to help fight for a cause internationally?
GoinGlobal, which is available from inside Handshake. is our featured tool for your international internship and job search, and city-specific search in the U.S. and Canada:
Please note: the following websites are provided as resources and this is not an inclusive list; they are not necessarily endorsed by UCSB Career. It is important to always carefully research all options and ask questions to become as informed as possible.
General Resources for International Experiences and Travel Information
- U.S. Department of State ( http://www.state.gov/travel ) - Passport and visa info, tips for travelers, registration with embassies, documents needed, travel advisories, and country background notes.
- Fulbright U.S. Student Program ( http://us.fulbrightonline.org/ ) - International exchange program offering opportunities for students, scholars, and professionals to undertake international graduate study, advanced research, university teaching, and teaching in elementary and secondary schools.
- Go Abroad ( http://www.goabroad.com/ ) - Directories include study abroad, internships, volunteer opportunities, teach abroad, degrees abroad and language schools.
- Transitions Abroad ( http://www.transitionsabroad.com/ ) - Work, study, travel and living abroad articles, advice, and resources for general information and specific locations/ programs.
- STA Travel ( http://www.statravel.com ) - Discounted prices for youths and students for airfares, railway travel, international ID cards, international insurance, youth hostels, etc.
- Mobility International USA ( http://www.miusa.org/ncde ) - Resource for people with disabilities, exchange and disability staff interested in study, work, intern, volunteer, and research or teach abroad programs.
- BUNAC ( http://www.bunac.org/ ) - Overseas work and travel programs.
- CCUSA ( http://www.ccusa.com/ ) - Overseas work and travel programs.
- InterExchange ( http://www.interexchange.org/ ) - Work, travel, volunteer, education, language school, au pair/childcare and internship programs.
- Village Camps ( http://www.villagecamps.com/ ) - International summer camps in 6 countries.
- uVolunteer ( http://www.uvolunteer.net/ ) - Volunteer service trips abroad with specialized placements in Costa Rica, Ghana, and Thailand. Programs vary by location, but service opportunities may include teaching English, animal and/or environmental conservation, community and/or physical education, health and medical settings, etc.
- Internships with EAP ( https://eap.ucsb.edu/getting-started/internships ) - In addition to the EAP Scottish Parliament Internship Program, UC Center Edinburgh, there are many other internship/volunteer opportunities available to EAP students. While some students find these positions through the EAP staff abroad, others find them on their own. This resource lists past internship sites or organizations which students have the opportunity to apply for into 3 types: Teaching English, Public / Non-profit (schools, government, museums, hospitals, etc), and Private Sector (business, communication, etc).
- Internbound ( https://internbound.com/ )- InternBound lists internships mainly in Northern and Southern California, and also in the Pacific Northwest. More than 90% of the internships on InternBound are paid. Any unpaid internships are quality positions in the corporate, government or nonprofit world. Internship programs are year round and seasonal. Internships programs are for undergrads and grad students. Search by category, keyword and/or company.
- CRCC Asia (http://www.crccasia.com/)-CRCC Asia works with over 400 companies, offering a wide range of placements across industries including Finance, Law, Marketing/PR, Engineering, Green Tech, International Business, Pharmaceuticals, NGOs and many more.
- ISA & ELAP ( http://studiesabroad.com/programs/document/elap ) - Variety of internship, volunteer, and study abroad programs in over 20 countries through year-round.
- Cultural Vistas ( http://www.culturalvistas.org/ ) - Variety of internship, fellowship and study tour programs.
- Intern Abroad ( http://www.goabroad.com/intern-abroad ) - Directory of internship programs by country.
- Study Abroad ( http://www.studyabroad.com ) - Internships, work, volunteer, and au pair opportunities.
- Global Education and Career Development Abroad ( http://www.globaledprograms.com/ ) - GlobalEd provides internship and work and study opportunities for students and recent graduates In Seville (Spain), Paris (France), London (England) and ShenZhen (China). internships are available in a variety of fields including: medical, business, entrepreneurship, engineering, marketing, journalism, programming, etc. Students will also receive Myers-Briggs training in conjunction with their internship to work better in teams and develop leadership skills.
- Global Routes ( http://www.globalroutes.org ) - Internship placements - college level teaching internships in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- IAESTE ( http://www.iaesteunitedstates.org/ ) - International exchange, leadership training, global skill development, and technical education.
- International Cooperative Education ( http://www.icemenlo.com ) - ICE places you in internship positions throughout Europe, Asia, and South America. ICE students have worked at automotive plants in Germany, schools in China, and other industry areas in Japan, and communities in Australia. Each working experience is unique and tailored to the student's interests, language ability and goals.
- INTRAX Global Internships ( https://www.globalinternships.com/internships ) - Offers affordable and immersive study, volunteer, service-learning and internship programs in over 20 countries.
- Big Beyond ( http://www.bigbeyond.org ) - Opportunity to build skills and experience through international volunteer work placements in some of the world's most beautiful yet fragile places in Africa.
- SAE Barcelona ( http://www.barcelonasae.com/ ) - SAE Barcelona places students in internships across industries in Barcelona, Spain.
- SK Pacific ( http://skpacific.com/ ) - SK Pacific is the leading internship provider in southeast Asia. Invest in your career by working in Asia top 100 international corporations.
- UCSB Extension's TESOL programs - Extension offers the most up-to-date and effective instruction in English as a Second and Foreign Language (ESL/EFL) teaching. The 16 unit, 144 hour Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages Professional Certificate Program and the 10 unit, 90 hour TESOL Methodology Professional Sequence Award are designed for both experienced and aspiring TESOL instructors.
- WorldTeach ( http://www.worldteach.org ) - One year teaching programs. Must hold bachelor's degree
- Dave's ESL Cafe ( http://www.eslcafe.com ) - The internet’s meeting place for ESL and EFL teachers and students around the world
- International Schools Services ( http://www.iss.edu ) - Assists qualified teachers and administrators in their search for opportunities in 200 American and international schools
- GoAbroad ( http://www.goabroad.com/teach-abroad ) - Directory of teach abroad programs by country
- Alliance Abroad International Cultural Exchange ( http://www.allianceabroad.com/ ) - Customized internship, work, teach and volunteer programs for students and graduates
- Reach to Teach ( http://www.reachtoteachrecruiting.com ) - Teach English in Korea, Taiwan or China
- Oxford TEFL Seminars ( http://www.oxfordtefl.com ) - job search assistance in Barcelona, Prague, India, London, or Cadiz
- Euro TEFL ( http://www.eurotefl.com/ ) - Four week program includes placement assistance. Great locations in Spain, Italy and Prague, Czech
- tefliberia (https://www.tefl-iberia.com/) - An English teacher training school in Barcelona, Spain that offers a TEFL certificate and an employment service
- Language Corps ( http://www.languagecorps.com/ ) - (See Flagship Programs esp. for China, Thailand, Vietnam) Provide the security of intensive on-site training and TESOL certification, a guaranteed paid job, a highly organized system, and a supportive community.
- American Thai Foundation, Teach Thailand Corps ( http://www.americanthaifoundation.org/teach-thailand-corps ) - bringing recently graduated Americans to teach English in the under-served regions of Northern Thailand. firstname.lastname@example.org
- US-China Advancement Council ( http://www.globaljobs.us/ ) - For students and recent grads interested in Chinese culture, this US based non-profit organization offers: teaching in China, summer internships, study abroad, exchange programs, and employment resources. Email: email@example.com
- Footprints Recruiting - finds rewarding teaching opportunities abroad for university graduates