How to Update Your Email Address in Handshake
Instructions to Follow
- Submit a Handshake Email Update Request to Career Services and let us know you would like to update your email address. Provide your Umail address as well as the email address that you would like it changed to.
- Career Services will initiate the update process.
- You will receive two emails, one to your Umail address stored in Handshake and one to your new email address. There may be a slight delay receiving the emails, so please be patient.
- Once you receive these emails, you will have 12 hours to click on the link and verify this email change to update your account. If you choose to do so, you can click Change Email and copy the code included in the confirmation. Make sure you remain logged into Handshake under your old email address in order to make this update.
- Once you click Finish Email Change, your new email address will be associated with your account.
Possible errors that may occur during the email change process:
Issue: I have received the email but am unable to view the whole email, click on the "Change Email" button, or the page opens to a blank page.
Solution: Please try and open the email up in another updated browser such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Sometimes using another email program can help as well.
Issue: I clicked on the "Change Email" button and enter my email on the following page but get the message "Hmmm... Looks like there is no account on file for..." comes up.
Solution: The new email address does not yet exist in Handshake. You will need to click the "Change Email" button again and enter in the old email address.
Issue: I try to sign in after I click the "Change Email" button but I'm unable to use SSO (single sign-on) and can't seem to use the email and password option.
Solution: SSO is not available to alumni. Look for a link to "use email and password" instead of selecting the SSO option. Use your new email.